Sunday, April 30, 2017

Monthly Feature: Under 40 & Changing The Game (6)






Who is…?
Nelle Rose is a Singer/Songwriter who was born in Mount Vernon, NY and raised in Freehold, NJ. With her family hailing from Jamaica in the 1980s, they instilled in her the value of education, hard work, and the importance of obtaining a skill. At the tender age of five, under the direction of her mother, she began her musical journey by singing in the church choir. Influenced by the likes of Whitney Houston, Lauryn Hill, and more, she set out to add her name to a group of artists who march to the beat of their own drums. She integrates mystique and raw emotions into her music and stage performances. She plans to continue to build momentum for her livelihood, let her authenticity capture her audiences, and follow the advice of living in the moment. She has adopted a “now or never” mindset: living to fulfill her purpose of touching the world with her gift.

What has contributed to your personal growth?
My journey has been an interesting one, to say the least. I came from a wholesome upbringing with two strict West-Indian, religious educators as parents. They wanted nothing more than for my brother and I to have everything that they didn’t have growing up: the American dream. We were pushed to participate in sports, learn instruments, and become active in our schools and churches. We both were sent to attend college at Rutgers University and graduate with degrees. Although we were expected to obtain typical jobs, the love of music could not seem to leave us because it is in our blood. 
My older brother, Akene “The Champ” Dunkley, graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering and decided to pursue music full-time as a pianist and producer. I graduated with a double major in Psychology and Africana Studies, and dabbled in various music industry internships or miscellaneous jobs. Somewhere along the line however, I realized that NOTHING made me happy besides singing; it had been the only constant thing in my life. I believe that the loss of loved ones, the failures, my parents’ divorce, and heartbreak have made me stronger and more determined to make it.
My growth can also be contributed to my brother. He was never a “yes man”. He always told me if a song I wrote was “whack” or if a note I sang was “off-pitch”. The value of honesty has allowed for me to expand my gift tremendously. It is so important to have a supportive and loyal circle around you.

In the next 5 years where do you see yourself going?
If I stay focused on improving my skill set, consistently make music, and increase my fan base, I WILL BE HAPPY. I need for music to be my full time profession. There is nothing greater than waking up in the morning and doing what you love. It is essential for the world to know and feel my emotion through my music. 

What are the 3 images that best describe your growth?




                                                      
What message would you like to provide those people who have hit a road block with their personal growth?
It is never too late to chase your dreams. The world is yours, but it is UP TO YOU to go get it. We are meant to be rejected and have failures; nothing that we want comes easy. Life is short. Don’t be the person that says, “I wish that I would have followed my passion”. The time is NOW.

How would you like to be remembered?
I want to be remembered by my voice and my personality. I am a very caring person and wear my heart on my sleeve.

What are your current ventures?
I just released my first EP on April 1st, titled “Fool for Love”. It is available everywhere: iTunes, Amazon, CD Baby, Google Play Music, Spotify, Tidal, and more. I am currently my own manager, but I do have a strong team, Young Kings Productions, working with me to create and dominate. Keep an eye out for us because we aim to take the world by storm!

To monitor my journey, please follow me everywhere at @nellerosemusic



No comments:

Post a Comment