Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Being Yourself: “You Do Too Much”

Another day another topic to discuss with people and see what they think about it. You ever have those people in your life that do just “TOOOOOO” much. Instead of just taking that extra step, they go an extra mile just because. I get told I do too much sometimes in the sense of helping people and making sure they are happy. Is this bad? I don’t think so, it’s just me being myself and assisting others just because they needed help. To some people doing too much annoys them, just because literally you’re always going that extra mile to make sure everything is okay. Sometimes though you get those people who say “Yo you do too much just stop.” That’s pretty much just telling you to tone down what you do or just stop doing it all together. When someone says that what do you do?

You have to realize it isn’t an off and on switch, and that without most of these people going that extra mile you wouldn’t be able to do most of the things you do on a regular. This is an experiment I did maybe a month or so ago where I just stopped doing “too” much and worried about myself. It was about a 1-2 week experience because of 6 people telling me I do “too” much and that I needed to stop so I did. The outcome of this experiment is that I was a jerk; I didn’t care to listen to anyone’s problems, I was worried about me and me alone, I didn’t care about what anyone was going through or their feelings, I wasn’t at all supportive on peoples endeavors and communication with people was dead to me. Ten times out of ten people regret what they say especially if the changes affect them and they are not use to it.

Moral of this story is just be yourself, if people start to think that your doing “too” much is a problem stop for awhile and see how they feel about it. It’s more so how you feel about it than them. You can’t change who you are just because people say things just learn to accept who you are and BE YOURSELF!!

5 comments:

  1. No one is ever themselves, once someone says they need to change something then they change who they are instead of saying FUCK THAT im ME leave ME alone

    ReplyDelete
  2. I THINK WHATS MOST IMPORTANT IS TO FIND A BALANCE.IN MY CASE I THINK I DO WAY TO MUCH AND AT THE END I DO HARM TO MYSELF, I DONT THINK IT A HEALTHY PART OF MY PERSONALITY.I LACK THE BALANCE, AND THE SCALES IM WEIGHING MY PRIORITIES ON ALMOST,IF NOT ALWAYS, SEEM TO LEAN TO MY BEING THE BENEFACTOR RATHER THAN BENEFICIARY.NEVERTHELESS,I SAY,IF YOUR DOING TO MUCH FOR OTHERS AND ITS PART OF WHO YOU ARE,AS LONG AS IT IS NOT DETRIMENTAL YOU YOUR WELL BEING, MORE POWER TO YOU MY BROTHER. FOR ARE WE NOT SERVANTS OF ALL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep makes a lot of sense. If you are able to do it more power to u, but if you are not doing good and worrying about others first maybe u need to just stop and worry bout urself for a little bit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its obviously not a bad thing to help others and make people happy even if it can never be reciprocated but investing that time and energy (in some cases $) by "going the extra mile" can become an issue especially if your compromising your own happiness or being taken advantage of. SOmetimes its good to examine your motives behind your actions. Do you go above and beyond...just because?...out of obligation?...to reap some sort of benefit (just random rhetorical ?s)? I also agree with the comment made about finding that proper balance. Its up to the individual to decide as to whether or not they are "doing too much" or stretching themselves too thin. What your willing to do for other people maybe more or less than what others are willing to do. With that being said I wouldn't tone down or stop the way in which I help others unless it was in my best interest to.....and if someone ever told me that I'm doing too much....I'd tell them to go kick rocks!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. def makes sense "KICK ROCKS!!" lol

    ReplyDelete